First Christian Church is committed to the principles, “No creed but Christ,” and “In essentials, unity; in opinions, liberty; and in all things, love.”
Therefore, these key biblical principles are not intended as a test of fellowship, but are simply meant to affirm belief in key issues of biblical doctrine. This document is offered as a theological framework to help unify the church’s faith community under the authority of Christ and His Word and to advance their efforts to communicate the gospel to the world.
1. We believe in one God – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Genesis 1:2; Matthew 5:16, 45; 6:1, 4, 8, 9; John 1:1; 4:24; 14:9, 16-20; James 1:17; 2 Peter 1:21).
a. We believe in God the Father Almighty, Creator of all things visible and invisible (Genesis 1:1; Acts 17:24-28; Hebrews 11:3).
b. We believe in Jesus Christ, God’s one and only Son, our one and only Savior (John 1:14; 3:16; 2 Peter 3:18; 1 John 4:9),
i. Who was born both fully human and fully divine, conceived of the Holy Spirit and the virgin Mary, and lived a sinless life (Matthew 1:18; 21:11; Luke 1:26-38; John 1:14; 19:19; Romans 5:15-17; Colossians 2:9; 1 John 1:1),
ii. Who suffered and was crucified (Luke 23:1-46),
iii. Who died and was buried, and Who rose again bodily from the dead on the third day (Luke 23:44 – 24:8; John 20:24-29; 1 Corinthians 15:3-8),
iv. Who ascended into Heaven and now sits at the right hand of the Father (Luke 22:69; Acts 1:1-9; Colossians 3:1),and
v. Who will return to earth to judge both the living and the dead (Matthew 24:36-42; John 14:1-3; Acts 1:10-11; 10:39-42; 1 Peter 4:5).
c. We believe in the Holy Spirit,
i. Who is a personal and active part of the triune God (John 16:5-15; Acts 1:7-8; Romans 8:26-27), and
ii. Who indwells every Christian (1 Corinthians 3:16; 6:19; 2 Timothy 1:14).
2. We believe in the Bible – God’s Holy Word.
a. We believe God inspired the original writings of the Scripture, and therefore the Bible is completely trustworthy in all its parts (John 14:26; 16:12-15; Acts 1:16; 1 Corinthians 2:12-13; 2 Timothy 3:14-16; 2 Peter 1:20-21).
b. We accept the Bible as the final authority for all matters of faith and practice (Isaiah 40:8; Matthew 5:18; 24:35; Romans 15:4; Hebrews 4:12).
3. We believe that people created by God willfully sin against God and are consequently lost and without hope apart from Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12; Romans 3:23).
4. We believe that salvation – the forgiveness of sins – cannot be earned but is given to us by God’s grace only through the blood of Jesus Christ (Matthew 26:28; Romans 5:1-11; 6:23; Ephesians 2:8-10; Hebrews 10:19-22; 1 Peter 1:18-19; 1 John 1:7).
5. We believe that we must respond to God in faith (Ephesians 2:8-9),
a. Believing and confessing the truth about Jesus (Matthew 10:32; Romans 10:9-10),
b. Turning away (repenting) from sin (Acts 2:38; 3:19; 17:30),
c. Trusting Jesus as Savior and Lord (Romans 10:11-13; Philippians 2:11),
d. Being baptized (immersed) into Christ (Acts 2:38; Romans 6:1-4), and
e. Following Christ in trust and obedience (Romans 6:11-23; 12:1-2).
6. We believe in the church of Jesus Christ, consisting of all Christians everywhere (Matthew 16:13-18; Acts 2:14-47, Ephesians 1:22-23).
7. We believe in the church’s mission: making disciples of all nations, baptizing them and teaching them to obey all of Jesus’ commands (Matthew 28:18-20).
8. We believe that those who have put their trust in Jesus Christ will spend eternity with Him (John 3:16; 6:39-40; 11:25-26).